Stage one of the next batch of chicks.
We've given up relying on chook power - at this time of the year they are decidedly unpredictable, and given that 11 roosters are now taking up room in the freezer whilst I attempt to get over a bad dose of sooking, we've decided we need to get serious about getting hen numbers up again (as we've now got Archie and his Heir and a Spare wandering around out their not getting on).
So the incubator's first batch is currently nuturing 21 eggs. It's capable of up to 48 - but we thought for the first batch we'd lessen the numbers as we've now also got to get a brooder sorted out (it's amazing how much technology and facilities you need to replace a feathering daft little chook....)
15 days in - we should start to see hatchings sometime around day 19 - all these eggs have been candled so we're pretty sure they are all viable.
We'll see what we end up with - but if experience is anything to go by, dozens of roosters and a hen or two... sigh.